The City of Quinte West invites applications for the following full-time position:
Public Works and Environmental Services
Reporting to the Manager of Engineering Services, the Development Inspector is responsible for inspecting developer initiated City infrastructure but also in assisting with the design, contract preparation, administration of construction, maintenance and upgrading of the City’s infrastructure which includes but is not limited to roads, bridges, sanitary and storm sewers, water mains, sidewalks, traffic signage, etc.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The position will:
- Assist with the review, design and recommendation for approval, City and developer initiated municipal servicing projects including roads, water main, sanitary and storm sewers, stormwater management, lot grading, drainage systems, transportation engineering, street lighting and other projects in accordance with City approved policies, standards and accepted engineering practices.
- Assist with the review, preparation and administration of subdivision, site plan and other development and/or engineering agreements.
- Assist in responding to inquiries and resolve/refer, as appropriate, complaints from property owners, builders, consultants, staff and other departments, etc. with regard to the administration of subdivision and site plan agreements and other departmental-related matters.
- Assist in the review of site plan developments and subdivision plans, engineering drawings, draft plans, Committee of Adjustment applications, Zoning By-law and Official Plan amendments, etc. for City and developer initiated projects with respect to City and Provincial standards, existing and proposed municipal servicing, specifications, by-laws and accepted engineering practices and comments and make recommendations on same; Assist with the monitoring for progress compliance.
- Assist in the preparation of transportation planning studies and/or coordinate of consultant preparation of studies as assigned. Assist in the review and analysis of associated report data, etc. Assist with the preparation of traffic operation studies and review and comment on transportation issues at all stages of the proposed development. Assist with the determination of the impact on road infrastructure, volume, capacity ratio, safety and recommendations for traffic control measures.
- Assist in the development of designs for non-standard transportation and traffic engineering projects including regulatory and passive traffic control devices. Assist in the design and coordination of the construction and maintenance of municipal service projects.
- Assist on construction projects, including the preparation of reports and quantity calculations and contract administration. Assist in conducting tests and correlation of data for quality control of materials used on projects.
- Assist in the preparation of designs, cost estimates, working drawings, plans, contract documents. Assist in the coordination of utilities, obtaining necessary government approvals, conducting construction site meetings and assisting with the preparation of minutes, the preparation, advertisement and evaluation of tenders as required.
- Assist in the preparation of reports on roads, sanitary and storm sewers, water mains, sidewalks, drainage systems, transportation work, etc. including capacity requirements, future requirements, cost estimates for upgrading, etc.
- Assist office staff with various reports as required and perform various office duties as assigned.
- Discuss inquiries and complaints with the public which pertain to the Department.
- Liaise with various City and utility personnel and developers/contractors or their consultants for information and coordination.
- Attend various committee and internal meetings as required.
- Assist in the review of City specifications, standards and by-laws related to municipal engineering services and recommend revisions and/or alterations.
- Utilize computers for the purpose of report preparation/presentation and data collection/analysis and design calculations and design of municipal projects.
- Demonstrate a commitment to learning and overall professional development.
The position will require:
- A minimum of a three (3) year Civil Engineering Diploma from Community College.
- A valid Class G Driver’s Licence and a safe driving record in good standing, satisfactory to the employer.
- Background in municipal design utilizing Land Development software.
- Understanding of municipal urban, semi-urban and rural infrastructure matters including roads, bridges, water mains, sanitary and storm sewers, sidewalks, curb and gutters, drainage systems, traffic signage and pavement markings, traffic signals, etc.
- Strong computer skills including Google Docs, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Dayforce (or other similar software programs) email and internet.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong and effective analytical, strategic, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.
Nice to Have:
- Member of the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists, or (OACETT).
- The ability to communicate in both English and French.
A minimum of one (1) year directly related to plan review and design would be an asset.
Nice to have:
Although not required, the following would be considered an asset to the position.
- Previous municipal experience.
Remuneration: 2022 C.U.P.E. Salary Grid Band 7 – $30.16/hr – $31.41/hr
Qualified applicants are invited to apply online with their resume by 11:59 pm on October 6, 2022. They may also visit the City of Quinte West website at www.quintewest.ca for more information.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and is used to determine eligibility for potential employment.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, the City of Quinte West is pleased to accommodate the individual needs of applicants with disabilities within the recruitment process. Please call 613-392-2841 x1106 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you require an accommodation to ensure your participation in the recruitment and selection process.
Applicants will be required to consent to the completion of a criminal reference check and the completion of a driver’s abstract, if deemed a requirement of the position.