Position Type: Permanent Full-time
Location: Port Elgin, Ontario
Who We Are:
The Town of Saugeen Shores is a community poised for growth. We pay careful attention to all we value: our beautiful natural environment, our waterfront and beaches, our community spirit and sense of pride, our inspired residents and valued visitors. We are guided by our vision – Future Ready: a committed and focused team, working together to grow and continuously improve to better serve the community. We work collectively, collaboratively and positively to benefit all who choose to visit the Town of Saugeen Shores or call it home.
Located on the shores of Lake Huron, the Town of Saugeen Shores, values work-life balance and offers competitive compensation, flexibility in work schedules and opportunities for career growth. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain a highly engaged and talented workforce, while promoting a culture based on Trust, Respect, and Teamwork.
About the Role:
We are seeking a Director of Community Services & Operations with a strategic vision for community development and the ability to successfully manage a diverse operational portfolio. As the Director, reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), you will oversee the Community Services, Operations and Public Works Divisions. With your team, you will lead all activities associated with water, wastewater, landfill, cemeteries, infrastructure maintenance, recreation facilities and programming, parks, trails, seasonal campgrounds, aquatics, beaches and waterfront, harbour and airport.
We are looking for an individual who is a strategic thinker and outstanding leader who will challenge the status quo and motivate others to achieve service excellence.
- Champion multiple strategic initiatives and serve as a key Strategic Advisor to the Chief Administrative Officer.
- Direct, oversee and advise on all matters related to the Municipality’s public works, parks, outdoor spaces, facilities, and recreation programs and services within approved Operating and Capital budgets.
- Monitor and report on progress towards achievement of the Corporate Strategic Plan, the Departmental Strategic Plan as well as the annual Department Business Plan.
- Coach and lead the operations in all divisions to advance sustainable and high quality outcomes that are consistent with the Town’s values and expectations, including adhering to health and safety standards and ensuring a safe work environment.
- Motivate and inspire a dedicated team and effectively manage both non-unionized and unionized employees to deliver exceptional service to our stakeholders.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with our community partners and organizations, including Marine Heritage, Arts Society, minor sports associations and sports leagues, local service clubs and support the many festivals and events that attract thousands of visitors to Saugeen Shores.
- Scan the local environment and identify issues and areas, which need to be addressed by policy; provide administrative advice to municipal Council and the CAO on issues, alternatives and recommendations regarding policy implementation.
- Prepare reports, policies, and by-laws and attend Council, Committee and other public meetings.
- Participate as a member of the Emergency Control Group.
- Establish and maintain appropriate internal controls and ongoing tracking mechanisms to safeguard assets, minimize risk, and ensure fiduciary and legal compliance.
- Liaise with government agencies, service providers, neighbouring municipalities, and local/community organizations on departmental service-related matters.
- Understand and ensure compliance with municipal, provincial, and federal legislation and regulations as well as the Town’s policies and procedures, and collective agreement.
- Ensure the compliance with the Ministry of Labour, Occupational Health and Safety Act, and other regulatory bodies.
What you bring to the role:
- Relationship Building: You foster healthy relationships necessary to plan and execute innovative programs and services that meet the needs and interests of our community.
- Change Management: You have a strong understanding of change management theory and proven ability to lead a change. You anticipate and actively manage the barriers to change and maintain positive direction to achieve desired outcomes.
- Communication: You are able to effectively and confidently communicate with others and provide detailed reports that are professional, well researched and suited to the needs of the audience.
- Conflict Management: You identify steps to resolve negative conflicts sensibly, fairly and efficiently. You actively minimize negative outcomes of interpersonal conflict and promote positive outcomes of conflict to improve learning and effectiveness.
- Initiative: You demonstrate a personal orientation toward action and accepting responsibility for the results. You challenge the status quo and work proactively to achieve organizational goals rather than waiting for others to lead.
- Legislative Comprehension: You have an awareness and understanding of the laws and regulations of various levels of government relating to the funding, acquisition, development and operation of recreational and cultural programs and services, and facility and infrastructure maintenance.
- Planning and Leadership: You are forward thinking with a proven ability to lead a diverse department toward an advanced model of service delivery and respond to emerging trends.
- Project Management: You have experience prioritizing and managing competing high priority projects and detailed contracts. You are able to plan, prioritize, and execute projects from ideation to completion and effectively manage the administration of service agreements, to ensure efficient delivery of contracted programs and services.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making: You are passionate about solving problems, uncovering root causes, and proactively find solutions to achieve organizational and departmental goals. You exhibit a strong understanding of corporate governance issues and the political environment in which you make decisions.
- Stakeholder Management: You foster positive relationships with other municipalities, local boards, agencies and other levels of government at the administrative level to identify and address legislative issues and improvements and ensure effective service delivery.
- Strategic Thinking: You effectively balance short and long-term planning and actions. You understand, analyze, plan, implement, and assess organizational strategy.
- Post-secondary degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Recreation Management, Engineering or related discipline.
- Certified Municipal Officer (CMO), Project Management certification (PMP), Professional Engineer (P. Eng), Certified Engineering Technologist (CET) or equivalent certification/designation is considered an asset.
- Solid background in Health and Safety.
- A minimum of 8 years’ senior management experience in the area of Recreation and/or Operations.
What we can offer you:
- Comprehensive extended health and dental benefits for you and your family.
- Enrollment in the OMERS pension plan.
- Generous number of vacation days each year.
- A flexible work schedule.
- Access to an Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- A passion for investing in our workforce through continuous learning and development.
- A supportive and collaborative work environment.
Salary: $129,554 to $147,220 based on experience (2021 rates subject to economic adjustment in 2022)
Qualified applicants are invited to apply online at the Town of Saugeen Shores Careers section of our website at www.saugeenshores.ca by the application deadline. We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: By 4:30 pm on Friday, December 10, 2021
The Town of Saugeen Shores encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the hiring process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
All information collected is in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990 and will be used for the purpose of this employment opportunity only.