Kawartha Lakes invites applications to join our team as a Director, Community Services.
Under the direction of the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Director, Community Services is responsible for the overall management, leadership and strategic direction of the Community Services department which encompasses Building and Property Construction and Maintenance, Municipal Service Centres (including the Corporate Customer Service Program), Parks and Recreation, Trails, Forestry, Cemeteries, and various Municipal funding programs.
When you come to work for Kawartha Lakes, you are joining a community of municipal workers who take pride in knowing that every day you are having a positive impact in the community. Our mission is to deliver the highest standards of municipal services while creating a healthy and sustainable future for all Kawartha Lakes’ residents and businesses. We work to our values of Accountability, Respect and Teamwork and we want you to Jump In with us!
We are an equal-opportunity employer which values equity, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace. We foster a safe and creative work environment, where training and skill development are prioritized, with opportunities and support for career advancement. As a team member at Kawartha Lakes, you may be entitled to the following: OMERS pension (defined benefit), employer-paid benefits package including short and long-term disability income replacement, education reimbursement and other programs that foster innovation, leadership, and career advancement.
Job Title Director, Community Services
Salary $148,766- $174,488
Reports To Chief Administrative Officer
Department Community Services
Location Lindsay, ON
Hours Full-time, 37.5 hours per week
Other General office environment; travel across Kawartha Lakes asrequired per job duties; on-call and work outside of regular business hours as required.
Specific to this role:
- Provides leadership and strategic support to the respective Community Services division managers in the achievement of the department’s strategy that
compliments and supports the City of Kawartha Lakes Corporate vision and strategy
- Evaluate, plan and implement short and long term community facilities, parks, recreation and culture needs and service delivery; develop pricing and cost
- Maintain final decision authority over projects, parkland, Municipal Trails, and facility acquisitions/dispositions/maintenance
- Oversee City’s Customer Experience Strategy and Customer Services programs
- Oversee the Building and Property program in determining short and long term needs of municipal facility stock through Facility Condition Assessments and space allocation reviews
- Identify community risk exposure and ensure appropriate risk management practices are in place
- Ensure that the organization is appropriately positioned to meet and exceed provincial service standards while actively maintaining knowledge of industry
changes, pending changes, best practices and local partner needs and requirements
- Liaise with Kawartha Lakes Library Division regarding their facility and sharedservice needs
As a member of the senior leadership team:
- Develop and implement strategic goals, priorities and measurements, consistent with performance management, engaging a continuous improvement mindset and recommend improvements to CAO and Council
- Conduct continuous research, analysis of industry trends, issues and future objectives resulting in recommendations to the Chief Administrative Officer and Council
- Conduct reviews and analysis of organizational service observes and ensure standards are achieved
- Ensure collaborative partnerships are maintained with community partners, agencies, legislators, public institutions and neighbouring service providers aligned with service delivery of the department
- Ensure collaborative partnerships are formed and maintained inside of the organization including maintaining a cohesive team environment to support staff’s achievement of objectives
- Prepare and review Council reports, providing advice and recommendations on departmental matters; follow through on Council directives and report on progress
- Develop comprehensive budgets for the department, present recommendations to Council; implement and monitor the department’s annual expenditures per guidelines specified
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, contribute to corporate planning including employee related strategies, financial planning, and organizational programs
- Model the desired organizational values and competencies; monitor performance of applicable corporate policies, directives, procedures, agreements
- Responsible for the overall performance outcomes of direct reports applying applicable actions aligned with organizational values; includes actions not limited to hire, lead, coach, train, discipline
- Act as a supervisor under the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Interested applicants are encouraged review the full job postings on our website and to apply on or before March 11, 2024 through the Careers page on the City of Kawartha Lakes website.
We will accommodate the needs of applicants in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise People Services to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process.