Position Type: Permanent Full-time
Location: Port Elgin, Ontario
Who We Are:
The Town of Saugeen Shores is a community poised for growth. We pay careful attention to all we value: our beautiful natural environment, our waterfront and beaches, our community spirit and sense of pride, our inspired residents and valued visitors. We are guided by our vision – Future Ready: a committed and focused team, working together to grow and continuously improve to better serve the community. We work collectively, collaboratively and positively to benefit all who choose to visit the Town of Saugeen Shores or call it home.
Located on the shores of Lake Huron, the Town of Saugeen Shores values work-life balance and offers competitive compensation, flexibility in work schedules and opportunities for career growth. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain a highly engaged and talented workforce, while promoting a culture based on Trust, Respect, and Teamwork.
About the Role:
We are searching for a strategic and driven Director of Corporate Services, with experience and interest in financial management and leadership of a municipality’s administrative functions. As the Director, reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), you will oversee the Finance, Information Technology and Clerk’s Divisions. You will challenge the status quo and work proactively to achieve organizational goals. You will anticipate future needs, identify potential challenges and design contingency plans to mitigate obstacles.
We are looking for an individual who is passionate about continuous improvement, and an exceptional leader who can set and hold high standards and motive their team to achieve their highest potential.
- Champion multiple strategic initiatives and serve as a key Strategic Advisor to the Chief Administrative Officer.
- Drive programs forward while ensuring accountability and accurately manage corporate risk.
- Critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources and apply strong problem solving skills to uncover problems.
- Develop, recommend and implement appropriate operational standards, controls, policies and procedures, reporting requirements and record keeping to meet all legislative requirements and safeguard all assets.
- Exhibit political acuity as a leader in municipal administration and possess strong, sound judgement through the development and mentoring of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Coach and lead the departmental staff operations in all divisions to advance sustainable and high quality outcomes that are consistent with the Town’s values and expectations.
- Oversee the annual municipal operating and capital budgets in consultation with the Municipal Treasurer and with other Department Heads, CAO and Boards for presentation to Council and ensure alignment of annual budgets with other financial planning documents.
- Monitor and deliver reports on the Corporate Services Department performance against budget.
- Provide strategic oversight, direction and leadership in delivering open, accessible and fair government services relating to the Finance, Clerks’, and IT divisions.
- Prepare administrative, financial and operational policies, guidelines and procedures for the efficient and effective operations of all departments of the Corporation as a whole.
- Prepare reports, policies, and by-laws and attend Council, Committee and other public meetings.
- Participate as a member of the Emergency Control Group.
- Provide administrative advice to municipal Council and the CAO on issues, alternatives and recommendations regarding policy implementation.
What you bring to the role:
- Financial Acumen: You have expert knowledge of financial accounting and reporting, project control, data analysis techniques, report writing and municipal operations.
- Planning and Leadership: You are motivating and forward thinking with a proven ability to lead a department toward an advanced model of service delivery.
- Problem Solving: You are passionate about solving problems, uncovering root causes, and proactively work with your team to find solutions to achieve the organizational and departmental goals.
- Communication: You are able to communicate effectively with Provincial government partners, business, Council, Board volunteers, and users.
- Stakeholder Management: You are able to work effectively across internal and external stakeholders including Council, various Community Groups and volunteers in building successful community partnerships.
- Legislative Comprehension: You are an expert in municipal, regional, provincial and federal governments, applicable by-laws, legislation, regulation, and awareness of current social, economic and political priorities, including detailed knowledge of the Municipal Act.
- Policy Development: You have experience in developing policies, practices and standards, and asset management. You have working knowledge of municipal policies and procedures as well as Corporate/Council protocol.
- Degree in Political Science, Public / Business Administration, Accounting, Commerce, Finance or Computer Science.
- Certified Municipal Officer (CMO) or equivalent designation or combination of education / experience.
- Acquired or are eligible for membership in the Association of Municipal Managers, Clerks and Treasurers of Ontario (AMCTO) or equivalent.
- Minimum of 8 years’ senior management experience with a focus on corporate services, preferably in a municipal setting.
- Expert knowledge of applicable municipal legislation and compliance.
What we offer you:
- Comprehensive extended health and dental benefits for you and your family.
- Enrollment in the OMERS pension plan.
- Generous number of vacation days each year.
- A flexible work schedule.
- Access to an Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- A passion for investing in our workforce through continuous learning and development.
- A supportive and collaborative work environment.
Salary: $129,554 to $147,220 based on experience (2021 rates subject to economic adjustment in 2022)
Qualified applicants are invited to apply online at the Town of Saugeen Shores Careers section of our website at www.saugeenshores.ca by the application deadline. We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: By 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, December 5, 2021
The Town of Saugeen Shores encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the hiring process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
All information collected is in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990 and will be used for the purpose of this employment opportunity only.