Posting #: NU 41.23 – REPOST
Position: Director, Engineering
Job Code: 8ENMGR
Status: Permanent Full Time
Employee Group / Band: Non-Union / 12
Salary: $104,432.00 – $130,540.000 per annum
Division: Environmental and Infrastructure Services
Reports To: General Manager, Environmental and Infrastructure Services
Location: Simcoe (with option for remote work arrangement)
Posting Period: September 5, 2023 to October 3, 2023
How to apply:
Follow the link below for the application process:
- Ensure the file extension for your resume document is .doc, .docx or .pdf
- If you are electing to include a cover letter, the cover letter and resume must be uploaded as 1 file.
Find out more information about Norfolk County here: Employment at Norfolk County – NorfolkCounty.ca
To manage the Engineering Department, including all Capital Infrastructure Programs within the Right-Of-Way, the County’s Municipal Drainage Program, and the Development Engineering Program through the effective implementation of staff, financial and material resources.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology; or, a Degree in Civil Engineering
- Minimum five (5) years’ related management experience.
- Certified Engineering Technologist and a member of the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists; or, a Professional Engineer and a member of the Professional Engineers of Ontario.
Skills and Abilities:
- Sound organizational, analytical, problem solving, project management, presentation, and business/technical writing and customer service skills.
- Proven motivational, leadership, interpersonal, team building and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong communications skills, including the ability to express thoughts clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing.
- In depth knowledge of current Municipal design, construction practices and methodologies and Provincial, Regional and Municipal standards.
- Working knowledge and application of Federal and Provincial regulations and requirements including but not limited to the Ontario Provincial Standard Specifications and Standard Drawings, Environmental Assessment Act, Lakes and Rivers Improvement Act, Ontario Water Resources Act.
- Ability to understand and interpret engineering plans and legal agreements.
- Ability to work independently under minimum supervision and possess good time management skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective business relationships with developers, consultants, employees, elected officials, agencies and members of the public.
- Proven financial and project management skills related to capital planning, design, procurement and construction
- Ability to translate strategic vision into practical action.
- Valid Ontario driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
- Computer expertise in corporate standard software (Microsoft Office) and department specific software to data search and entry and to create and modify word processed documents
- Must be aware of safe work practices as they relate to job responsibilities and work environment, and have the basic understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- To ensure and be accountable for legislative requirements specific to the Department’s function are met.
- To ensure the provision of efficient, effective and quality project management and contract administration through a combination of internal and external engineering services.
- To be accountable for the management of the human, physical and financial resources of the municipal drains.
- To provide approved levels and standards of service through effective management of human, physical and financial resources of the Department.
- To be responsible for the research, preparation and presentation of reports to Council with recommendations for financial approval and Council endorsement.
- To be responsible for the approval under the MECP Transfer of Review Program for proposed and future development.
- To ensure legislative requirements specific to the Department’s function are met.
- To participate in the development and management of the overall business of the Department and act as a resource, advisor and/or liaison to General Manager, other Divisions, developers, consultants, general public, and external organizations.
- To evaluate the technical (water, sewer, roads and drains) and servicing capabilities of development proposals; e.g. residential, commercial and industrial.
- To obtain the MECP Environmental Compliance Approval for water and wastewater projects to meet the County’s needs for present and future development.
- To communicate with the public, developers, contractors and consultants relating to capital projects, including public information meetings, environmental assessments, individual and development inquiries.
- To promote and deliver quality, effective and efficient customer service.
- To lead the Engineering Department ensuring evidence-informed practices are utilized in providing efficient, effective, and quality services.
- To oversee the review, approval and issuance of engineering permits, including drainage, right-of-way, and municipal consent.
- To create and have in place appropriate policies, procedures and resources to enable staff to perform tasks efficiently and effectively.
- To provide direction, set and monitor goals/objectives, coach and mentor staff.
- To set goals/objectives based on evidence-informed practices, and to monitor same.
- To assist in the development of Departmental business plans, performance measures and forecasts.
- To determine the capital planning needs for infrastructure (roads, bridges, sewer, and water) to develop a 10 year capital budget and secure Council approval.
- To determine the capital planning needs for infrastructure, example roads, bridges, sewer, and water and wastewater plants, utilizing evidence-informed practices (best practices).
- To develop rolling 10 year capital budgets.
- To Coordinate growth-related capital infrastructure and timing with the Planning Department
- Development charges and financial forecasts
- Management of the Development Engineering work programs, prioritization and streamlining of work process
- Direct and coordinate process reviews, continuous improvement and policy/procedural updates related to Development Engineering functions (Design Criteria, etc)
- To ensure the efficiency, effectiveness and quality of day-to-day operations of the Department.
- To efficiently and effectively manage the human, physical and financial resources of the Engineering Department for the short and long term planning of major and minor capital projects within the Environmental and Infrastructure Services Division. Ensure Municipal Drains are reviewed, approved, inspections carried out and paperwork completed.
The Corporation of Norfolk County is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Successful applicants are required to provide the Employer with a current Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector where required and verification of education.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those to be interviewed will be contacted.