Career Opportunity – Internal/External Posting
Director of Community and Development Services
Community and Development Services
Due to an upcoming retirement, the Municipality is recruiting for the position of Director of Community and Development Services.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Director of Community and Development Services is responsible for the administration of Building Services, Fire Services, Planning Services, Recreation Services, including the Nature Fresh Farms Recreation Centre and Municipal Marina, Economic Development, Tourism and Culture, and maintenance of municipal facilities.
- Responsible for the overall operation, of the Building Services, Fire Services, Planning Services, Development Services, Economic Development, Tourism and Culture, Recreation Services, including the Nature Fresh Farms Recreation Centre, Leamington Marina and maintenance of municipal facilities.
- Address any customer concerns as required.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for the operation of facilities in the Community and Development Services area.
- Responsible for the overall human resource management of Community and Development Services, including:
- Plan, prioritize and assign work;
- Establish goals and objectives for the department and managers within the department;
- Coordinate all aspects of the operation of Community and Development Services;
- Accountable for health and safety responsibilities of staff;
- Plan and develop staff, including assisting Human Resources in recruitment, training, setting objectives, performance management, etc.;
- Identify the professional needs of staff;
- Conduct meetings within the division and other departments;
- Attend Council meetings;
- Develop and implement programs that will assist in delivering quality services and programs to ratepayers;
- Provide leadership and motivate staff to deliver quality services and programs to ratepayers.
- Responsible for the financial management of Community and Development Services, including:
- Prepare, present, monitor and evaluate annual capital and operating budgets as requested by the CAO and Council;
- Manage capital projects;
- Project financial variances as part of the monthly or quarterly review;
- Monitor and control budgets in conjunction with finance staff.
- Responsible for the administration component of Community and Development Services, including:
- Develop and implement strategic long-term planning initiatives such as the Community Improvement Plan, five-year operations review, development changes, etc.;
- Monitor and implement the provisions of the collective agreements;
- Monitoring procedures and reports;
- Prepare a three to five-year capital and equipment replacement schedule;
- Maintain operational statistics and records;
- Develop reports/studies which will enhance and advance services offered through Community and Development services;
- Assist the CAO in developing policies and procedures as they relate to services provided by Community and Development Services.
- Comply with applicable provincial and municipal legislation, including the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and the Municipality’s Records and Information Management Program.
- Comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, applicable regulations, as well as the Municipality’s Health and Safety Program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills:
- Must have a University/College degree/diploma in environmental science /engineering or planning/building discipline.
- Must have a minimum of ten years of progressive experience at the senior management level.
- Must have experience in a municipal environment.
- Must have experience demonstrating effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of the Municipal Act, By-laws, legislation, and regulations.
- Knowledge of the Building Code Act, Planning Act and Fire Code.
- Must be able to demonstrate strong leadership, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Must have proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders and must be able to manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Demonstrate tact and discretion in handling matters of a confidential or politically sensitive nature.
- Must have experience with developing operational recommendations and requirements.
- Experience in coaching and project management would be an asset.
Hours of Work and Working Conditions:
35 hours per week. Some travel and attendance at evening meetings is regularly required. Lieu time is capped at 70 hours annually.
$153,117.89 to $179,126.27 annually (2023 Rates) and comprehensive benefits plan.
Applications must be received by 11:59 PM, Monday, October 9, 2023.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must apply online through our website, leamington.ca/careers
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Selected applicants will be subject to an interview process and skills testing to determine eligibility.
We are pleased to accommodate any individual needs under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require accommodation throughout the hiring process, please contact Human Resources at 519-326-5761 ext. 1112 to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information on this form is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, R.S.O. c45 and will be used to determine eligibility for employment. Questions about the collection of this information can be directed to the Manager of Legislative Services/Clerk, Municipality of Leamington, 111 Erie Street North, Leamington, Ontario, N8H 2Z9, Telephone: 519-326-5761