BUILD HEALTHY COMMUNITIES.
Under the general direction of the CAO, the Groundskeeper / Arena Operator plays a key role in the Parks and Recreation services available to the citizens of the District of Stewart. You will support the District in the responsible care of Stewart’s outdoor parks, recreation spaces, and the Al Lawrence Memorial Arena. You will operate, inspect, and maintain a variety of equipment and vehicles in this full-time role, with availability for some shift / weekend work. You are a stickler for safety, and you take pride in contributing to a healthy and active community lifestyle.
Where is the Job?
With a population of 500, the District of Stewart is a deep-sea port on BC’ s beautiful northern coast. During the summer, Stewart is a major tourist draw with its closeness to Alaska and road access to a major glacier – the Salmon. You’ll enjoy recreational opportunities year-round with fishing down the Portland Canal, and first-class snowmobiling and heli-skiing on the adjacent mountains. Major industry in the area includes mining, logging, and port operations.
What You’ll Do:
- Parks and Grounds:
- Perform grass, tree and parkland maintenance; and following guidance of accepted practices/procedures;
- Assist with the operation and maintenance of irrigation systems;
- Assist with the erection, maintenance and inspection of playground equipment and fences;
- Assist with the maintenance of cemeteries, including excavating and filling of graves;
- Supervise summer and casual staff as required.
- Perform regular maintenance of Arena including janitorial duties and minor repairs; ensure supplies are in stock;
- Operate and maintain the ice-making equipment including the compressors, condenser, refrigeration units and related piping;
- Assist with the operation and maintenance of the building heating system;
- Maintain the ice surface including flooding, operating the ice resurfacer, ice painting, etc.;
- Sell and monitor ice time use;
- In conjunction with the Recreation Coordinator assist in the coordination of Groundskeeper / Arena Operator special events at the arena;
- Sharpen skates;
- Annual ice in/ice out operations;
- Maintain a clear access to the building and around all exit doors.
What You’ll Get in Return:
- An outstanding team of coworkers who value diversity and teamwork;
- An annual wage of $28.99 / hour;
- A comprehensive benefits package; and
- Assistance with relocation for those considering a move from outside the District.
What You’ll Bring:
- Your Education:
- Valid BC Driver’s Licence with Airbrake endorsement (minimum Class 5);
- A valid Occupational First Aid, Level 1 certificate;
- Understanding of Occupational Health and Safety Regulations as established by the Workers’ Compensation Board of BC;
- Traffic Control Person training;
- Water Distribution Level I Certificate and Water Treatment Level 1 Certificate;
- Wastewater Collection Level 1 Certificate and Wastewater Treatment Level 1 Certificate; and
- Ice Facilities Operation Certificate, or 5th Class Power Engineer Certification.
- Your Experience:
- Experience or training related to this position;
- Experience in small engine repair;
- Physical ability to satisfy the requirements of this position;
- An affinity for and a willingness to learn the operation of machines, vehicles, and heavy equipment and undertake training as required for the job duties; and
- Ability to maintain harmonious relationships with the public and staff members.
What to do Next:
Send your resume and cover letter to Todd Francis, Chief Administrative Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until Dec. 1, 2022.