Supervisor, Operations (Roads)
||November 22, 2021
||December 6, 2021
Located in the heart of Southwestern Ontario, the City of Kitchener is fast-growing and dynamic. Every single day, the City of Kitchener is crafted and shaped by hard-working and creative individuals who make a difference in the lives of approximately 240,000 residents.
Reporting to a Supervisor of Operations, the Heavy Equipment Operator will work as a collaborative member of an Operations team, contributing to a supportive and innovative work environment.
- Operate large heavy equipment, including rubber tire backhoe, loader (greater than 3 yard bucket), dozer, grader, scraper, and hydraulic excavator (shovel), to perform excavation, construction and snow removal work.
- Perform daily maintenance circle checks on all pieces of equipment prior to operation and follow all pre-trip inspections guidelines.
- Maintain an awareness of surroundings at all times, including location of other staff members and underground/overhead utilities to ensure safety of self, other staff, the public, and private property.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be reliable with good attitude and employment record.
- Must have the ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
- Must pass a medical examination if required.
- Must have a minimum Grade 12 diploma or GED.
- Must possess a valid DZ driver’s license in good standing.
- Must successfully complete required progression criteria as it relates to this job title.
- Must have demonstrated communication skills with an ability to keep accurate written records.
- Must be competent in the use of a rubber tired backhoe and loader (subject to assessment as necessary).
- Must be prepared to be trained in the operation of all related equipment and work skills.
- Must be able to perform a wide variety of duties including manual labour.
- Must be willing to work shifts and be assigned duties as required.
- Must be a competent person as defined by the Ontario Health & Safety Act.
- Must have good customer service skills.
- Must have an ability to participate as an effective team member.
- Must be available for winter call outs as required.
Please note that shift work may be required for winter maintenance activities.
In accordance with the City of Kitchener’s Mandatory Verification of COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, new City of Kitchener employees (or employees rehired after a break in service of more than 3 months) are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire, subject to accommodations required in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and thank all applicants in advance.
Accommodations are available during all stages of the recruitment process in accordance with the Human Rights Code.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted
Please note that as per Human Resources Policy HUM-HIR-110, “Employment of Relatives of Staff Members and Elected Officials”:
“The immediate relatives of staff of the Human Resources Division, all Directors, General Managers, or the Chief Administrative Officer and Elected Officials shall not be employed by the City in any capacity.
The immediate relatives of all other Management personnel shall not be employed where such employment would be:
1. within the same Department in the case of permanent full-time, temporary full-time and part-time classifications.
2. within the same Division in the case of students.”
||Operations – Roads and Traffic
||Number of Positions
|Hours of Work
||Monday – Friday 7:00 – 3:00 (40 hours per week)
||Kitchener Operations Facility
||7 (under review)