POSITION ID: 7340-002 CALL NO.23-3390
Job Designation: Licensed Mechanic – Transit
Department: Oakville Transit
Job Details: Permanent Full Time (UNIFOR 1256)
Salary Range: $38.64 per hour (Probationary Rate), $41.60 per hour (Full Time Rate)
Closing Date: Applications for this position must be received at oakville.ca no later than 11:59 pm on December 11, 2023.
- A defined benefit pension plan (OMERS)
- Comprehensive health plan complemented with life and disability insurance
- A progressive work environment that promotes a work/life balance and strives to be a great place for great people to do great things
Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, this position is full-time permanent in the Oakville Transit Department (Maintenance Division). Duties will include but will not be restricted to:
- Diagnoses and/or corrects problems with Cummins diesel engines and Allison and ZF automatic transmissions using computer diagnostic equipment and or maintenance manuals.
- Diagnoses and repairs IO, VBEA, and Vansco Multiplex wiring systems.
- Diagnoses and repairs issues with brakes, steering and other bus components in a safe and efficient manner in accordance with approved procedures and practices.
- Performs routine services and MTO inspections; records readings, and repairs performed.
- Lubricates, refuels, changes oil, services tires and batteries, etc., when assigned.
- Operates personal and shop tools such as, but not limited to: hoists, cranes, air tools, power tools, saws, presses, torches etc. safely, in accordance with OHSA regulations and Town of Oakville policies and procedures.
- Performs repairs in accordance with both manufacturer procedures and industry standards.
- Performs on-road service and repairs and/or vehicle retrieval as necessary.
- Work is on a shift basis covering up to a 7-day per week operation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Applicants must have a valid Truck & Coach Technician license and preferably a minimum of 3 years of experience.
- Experience with Webasto/Spheros auxiliary heaters would be an asset.
- Experience with urban transit bus exhaust after treatment would be an asset.
- Must have mobile HVAC experience and have a valid ODP (Ozone Depletion Prevention) card or successfully obtain card as a condition of employment.
- Must have a valid certificate to operate a forklift, or successfully obtain as a condition of employment.
- Ability to read and understand heavy-duty electrical (including multiplexing and ladder logic), airbrake and hydraulic schematics and systems.
- Must be a critical thinker with the ability to analyze, understand and diagnose multiple interconnected vehicle systems.
- Must have a strong working knowledge and understanding of the Ontario Highway Act (vehicle inspections) and NSC Standard 11.
- Ability to adapt and learn new technologies as the industry progresses to zero-emission vehicles (Battery Electric Bus).
- Willingness to retain/maintain technical competency.
- Must be resourceful and have the initiative to work with little supervision.
- Must provide and maintain a complete set of basic mechanic tools for performing job duties.
- Must hold (or have the ability to obtain as a condition of employment) and provide a copy of a valid and unrestricted Ontario Driver’s License Class C with a Z air brake endorsement with a driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour. Note: Applicants with 6 or more points are ineligible for consideration. The successful applicant, who is a new hire, will be required to provide the Corporation with a current driver abstract (no older than 30 days) prior to assuming the position.
DATED: November 3, 2023
This job profile reflects the general requirements necessary to perform the principal functions of the job. This does not include all of the work requirements of the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate through their application and in the interview process that their qualifications match those specified. Applicants may also be required to undergo testing.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.