When you join the City of Guelph, you join a team of 2000 full and part-time employees who deliver services the community relies on every day. Together, we are bringing to life Guelph’s vision of an inclusive, connected, and prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
As a regional top employer, the City of Guelph values its employees and offers competitive salaries, excellent benefit packages, opportunities for professional development, a healthy work-life balance, and many roles with flexible work options. Our corporate values are integrity, service, inclusion, wellness, and learning. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The successful candidate will provide temporary technical support of the City’s Development Planning and Policy Planning & Urban Design functions. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision for an inclusive, connected, prosperous city.
- Provide technical support for development planning projects including site plan and development application review and general research.
- Maintain the City’s AMANDA data base with planning related information and assign and input new municipal addresses and street names.
- Conduct zoning review for proposed site plan applications.
- Perform site plan inspections and enforce compliance, as required.
- Support the maintenance, cataloguing, storage and reproduction of all maps, graphics, statistics and related data bases.
- Prepare graphics relating to the processing of development applications and policy planning & urban design projects, such as maps, plans, drawings, charts and other visual aids.
- Support the design and implementation of various GIS applications and other visual analysis techniques, such as 3-D modelling.
- Respond to public inquiries and requests for data, plans and other graphics relating to development.
- Assist in identifying and implementing continuous improvement initiatives in relation to the delivery of planning technical support services.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through 2-year Diploma in Planning or related field, and 3 – 4 years relevant planning experience, preferably within the municipal sector. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Canadian Association of Planning Technicians is required.
- GIS (Geographic Information Systems) Specialist certificate would be an asset.
- Ability to prepare maps, plans, drawings, charts and other visual aids in relation to development applications and policy planning and urban design projects.
- Ability to utilize computer graphics, data management, and mapping (MapInfo, AutoCAD, ARCview, 3-D Analyst).
- Experience and knowledge with AMANDA System Administration.
- Excellent analytical and organization skills with the ability to meet deadlines under pressure with minimum supervision.
- Knowledge of urban design and graphic communication/analysis techniques would be an asset.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act
- Ability to conduct research, evaluate options and develop recommendations.
- Intermediate skills Microsoft Office (Power Point, Word and Excel)
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
$31.92 – $39.20 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Monday, December 5, 2022. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.