The City of Guelph is a vibrant and diverse community with a unique sense of place located in southern Ontario along the Innovation Corridor that runs between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo. We are also one of Canada’s fastest-growing cities with a projected population increase from 135,000 people to almost 170,000 in the next 10 years. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Project Specialist within Facilities and Energy Management reporting to the Manager, Corporate Building Maintenance. The successful candidate will be responsible for minor design and construction contracts for facilities either as a stand-alone project or as part of a larger program of works. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
- Manage various building design and construction / renovation projects from conception to completion, either as standalone projects or as part of a larger program of works.
- Work as part of a team on large scale projects to help implement design and construction activities.
- Preparation of tender documents and coordinating with purchasing.
- Liaise with City Departments, utilities or other key stakeholders as required.
- Coordinate the work of Architects, Consulting teams and Contractors to meet the requirements of the project.
- Liaise with Planning and Building for site plan approval and building permits, Engineering for site services, IT and other Departments with special needs, and with utilities, authorities and regulatory agencies as required.
- Review reports, conceptual designs, drawings and tender documents, and recommend changes.
- Conduct site inspections and oversee/prepare deficiency reports for appropriate action.
- Responsible for payment certificates for the Consultant, the Contractor and other vendors.
- Manage shop drawings, site instructions, change notices, change orders, and record drawings and manuals.
- Oversee contractor’s / consultant’s facility commissioning on behalf of the City.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 5 years experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a post-secondary education in Architectural, Facility Management or closely related discipline and experience in construction and renovations within the ICI (Industrial, Commercial Institutional) Sector. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience in project management (e.g. delivering on time, within budget, meeting a high standard of quality, and with energy savings targets met).
- Experience with contract administration including tender documents
- Knowledge of the Building Code, Lien Act, OAA Document 6, CCDC 2, Bonding and Insurance, and other related documents is required.
- Knowledge of proper construction procedures would be an asset.
- Ability to read and interpret detailed drawings, specifications, soils reports and topographical surveys.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive issues and information.
- Intermediate Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Intermediate level of ability with AutoCAD for space planning, building permit, and conceptual drawings.
$42.64-$53.30 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Wednesday January 19, 2022. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.