THE REGIONAL MUNICIPALITY OF DURHAM
Job ID: 17557
CUPE Local 1785
Open: Mar 08, 2023 Close: Apr 04, 2023
The Region of Durham is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion within its community and organization, and strongly welcomes and encourages applications from Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, women, persons who live with disabilities, people from 2SLGBTQI+ communities and people from diverse communities.
In accordance with the AODA Act, accommodation will be provided throughout the recruitment process to applicants with disabilities.
Number of Available positions:
Vacancies: 5 Regular Full-Time
These positions will be based at the Plant Operations – SCADA Group offices at the Oshawa Water Supply Plant, with frequent travel required to work locations throughout the Region of Durham.
The position will report to the District Plant Supervisor of SCADA Operations. The successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining, supporting and implementing SCADA Systems, networks, databases, applications and Operational Technologies (OT) for Water and Wastewater facilities throughout the Region of Durham.
The incumbent will:
- Support and maintain SCADA-based Operational Technologies (OT) in the Region’s Water and Wastewater facilities from implementation to ongoing lifecycle maintenance
- Identify, research, troubleshoot and resolve problems related to SCADA system operation, stability and security
- Design, develop and implement strategies for application/network backup and recovery to minimize the loss of data and system configuration parameters
- Work with internal Regional staff and consultants to design and develop SCADA architectures, Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), drawings, configuration manuals, programming standards and quality assurance policies
- Provide support to users, respond to inquiries, troubleshoot issues and perform repairs on PLCs, Microsoft Domains, Unix, Cisco systems, VMWare/VSphere environments and GE Proficy applications and architectures (Historian, iFix, Visual Basic, Terminal Services)
- Assist with project management in relation to the design, installation and commissioning of SCADA systems as well as provide project supervision
- Write, develop and modify programs for SCADA HMI systems, network equipment, database reporting applications and PLCs
- Perform standby duty, overtime work and be able to respond quickly to problems and be placed on the regular maintenance on-call rotation schedule
- Inspect and test system components installed by contractors and consultants
- Write reports and maintain accurate records of work performed, materials used and associated costs
- Provide exceptional customer service and actively add value to the SCADA Group team
The successful applicant will possess:
- A Post-Secondary Diploma in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Information Technology or a related discipline
- A minimum of 2 years of experience working in an industrial control environment
- Experience in the design and improvement of SCADA/ industrial control systems
- Thorough knowledge of PLC/HMI Graphics systems (GE Rx3i and Allen Bradley PLCs, Wonderware and iFix HMI applications)
- Experience with the design, installation and configuration of Fieldbus networks for automation control including Ethernet/IP, Modbus, Profinet, etc.
- Familiar with Cisco switches, routers and firewalls
- Experience using Microsoft Office software applications and the ability to produce correspondence, spreadsheets and databases
- Familiar with Windows Operating Systems (Windows Server 2019, Windows 10, Active Directory)
- The ability to understand oral and written instructions as well as read and prepare process control narratives (PCN), wiring diagrams and drawings
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to work with minimal supervision and make sound judgments regarding work methods
- The ability to manage multiple assignments and conflicting priorities
- A valid Ontario Class ‘G’ Driver’s License
The following would be considered an asset:
- Experience with VMWare applications, services and environments
- Extensive experience with the design, installation and configuration of OT networks (Cisco), radio communication systems and Wide Area Network (WAN) topologies
- Practical skills in configuring and administering Microsoft Server operating systems and platforms
- Expert knowledge of Industrial Control System (ICS) cybersecurity best practices, techniques, policies and procedures
- Experience with SCADA database software (SQLServer, Proficy Historian), programming and scripting languages (JAVA, C, SQL,HTML, Visual Basic) and reporting software (e.RIS)
- Direct experience with computerized plant operations for Water and Wastewater treatment practices, equipment maintenance and troubleshooting is definitely an asset
SCADA Technologist Job Rate
Conditions of Employment
Proof of education, qualifications and any other job bona fide requirements will be required prior to the start date.
In addition, all new hires must be fully vaccinated upon hire to meet the Region’s Mandatory Covid-19 Vaccination Policy. As required, exemptions will comply with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
External Application Process
Come find a home where exciting and rewarding careers are balanced with your lifestyle. We thank all applicants; however, only those being considered will be contacted. Please apply online at durham.ca/Careers no later than midnight (Eastern Standard Time) on the closing date indicated on the Job Posting.
The Region of Durham is an equal-opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. If contacted for an employment opportunity and you require accommodation, or if this information is required in an accessible format, please contact us at RecruitingHelp@durham.ca and a Recruiter will provide appropriate assistance pursuant to the Region’s Accommodation and Accessibility policies. Please note that resumes should not be sent to RecruitingHelp@durham.ca.
Follow us on Twitter! www.twitter.com/regionofdurham
Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/regionofdurham