The City of Grande Prairie is looking for a Senior Executive Advisor to support the organization’s executives, including the Chief of Staff, Chief Financial Officer, or Chief Investment Officer. As the first point of contact, the Senior Executive Advisor represents the Chief Officer’s office by communicating and interacting with senior administration, elected officials, other levels of government, outside agencies, internal staff, and the public respectfully and professionally. The Senior Executive Advisor leads, develops, and implements processes, procedures, and policies relevant to the functional area’s effective oversight and continued development. They support the service area by administrating strategic projects from initiation through completion, including corporate strategic project capacity assessment, stakeholder engagement, business process analysis, and change management. The Senior Executive Advisor must exercise good judgment, handle sensitive situations, and deal with the area’s business expeditiously. This often requires handling highly confidential information and exercising appropriate tact and diplomacy. An ability to research and analyze facts and circumstances, make timely decisions, and take ownership and accountability for all areas of responsibility, are required. This position requires an energetic, detail-oriented individual with exceptional planning and organization skills who can multi-task, be flexible, and meet stringent deadlines. Keen political and business acumen is required for optimal performance.
Chief Officer Support
- Anticipates the needs of the senior executives by connecting and making sense of diverse information from multiple sources.
- Research, prepare, and process clear, concise, detailed briefing material, reports, and letters for senior executives, elected officials, and others as required.
- Communicates direction from the Chief Officer to Directors within the service area.
- Provides strategic advice to the service area and the Chief Officer.
Strategic Objectives and Planning
- Identifies strategies, gains approval, and leads the implementation of continuous improvement initiatives to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of City services.
- Facilitates the development/review of departmental business plans, ensuring the inclusion of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) that align with the Corporate Framework and link to established corporate priorities.
- Collaborates with the Director of Executive Services & Strategy and other Senior Executive Advisors to provide input into the development and monitoring of corporate strategy/plan methodologies, templates, and tools, while ensuring alignment with Council’s Strategic plan.
- Oversees the management of special projects to ensure timelines and outcomes are achieved, appropriate risk identification and mitigation is completed, appropriate change management strategies are utilized, financial performance, including project budgets, is achieved, and the overall project is documented and reported to stakeholders, the Corporate Leadership Team and as appropriate, City Council.
- Provides budget analysis and ensures financial reporting requirements are completed. Applies asset management methodologies to ensure strong fiscal stewardship of public funds.
- Develop and present reports to senior management, employees, stakeholders, and Council as required.
- A bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, or equivalent.
- Five (5) years of directly related work experience, including at least two (2) years in a senior executive support capacity.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated ability to build effective relations externally (vendors, suppliers, citizens) and internally (vertically and horizontally).
- Exceptional written and verbal communication, research, and analytical skills.
- Financial and business acumen.
- Exceptional customer service.
- Ability to work independently, aware of when to collaborate and work as a team.
- Experience with a variety of technologies (Visio, Microsoft Office Suite, HRIS, Financial Systems).
- Experience in the public sector is preferred that demonstrates an understanding of legislative requirements, best practices, and financial reporting.
F Band $48.97-$60.13 per hour.
Submit a cover letter and resume using the “Apply Now” tab on the following link: City of Grande Prairie – Senior Executive Advisor
This posting will be open until a suitable candidate(s) is/are found.
We thank you in advance for your interest. Those selected for an interview will be contacted by phone or email. Additionally, we will email those who did not make it to the interview stage within 60 days of the closing date of this job posting.
Applicants from this recruitment may be used to fill additional Senior Executive Advisor positions.