HAMLET OF ARVIAT
P.O. Box 150
Arviat, Nunavut, X0C 0E0
ᐅᖃᓘᑎᑯᑦ: 867-857-2841 – ᖃᕆᑕᐅᔭᒃᑯᑦ: firstname.lastname@example.org – ᓱᒃᑲᔪᒃᑯᑦ: 867-857-2519
Phone 867-857-2841 – e-mail: email@example.com – Facsimile: 867-857-2519
SHOP FOREMAN/MAINTENANCE DIRECTOR
HAMLET of ARVIAT, NUNAVUT
The Hamlet of Arviat, Nunavut, is accepting applications for the position of Shop Foreman/Maintenance Director.
Under the direction of the Senior Administrative Officer (SAO), the Shop Foreman/Maintenance Director is responsible for:
- Managing, supervising, and assessing the Hamlet of Arviat’s current Public Works Department’s operations, with particular attention to ongoing maintenance and preventative maintenance of all Hamlet of Arviat equipment.
- Determining areas of operation that require changes to policies and procedures to ensure maximum efficiency in Hamlet of Arviat fleet management, equipment and operations and minimizes equipment breakdowns and down-time. This includes but is not limited to parts inventory management, human resources, maintenance schedules, training requirements, equipment requirements, etc.
- Providing the Hamlet of Arviat with a plan to implement the changes and recommendations developed in item (2) and a timeline to do so, including human resources, training, and budgetary requirements for implementation of the fleet management/maintenance improvement plan.
- Begin implementing the above plan on behalf of the Hamlet of Arviat.
The Hamlet of Arviat is a rapidly growing remote community, and as the community grows and Public Works services increase, the Hamlet of Arviat is facing challenges in managing and maintaining our extensive fleet of equipment, especially water and sewage trucks which are essential for the daily water/sewer services provided to the community. The Hamlet of Arviat has identified a need to perform an in-depth review of Public Works garage operations to determine where efficiencies can be found, as well as to determine what additional resources are needed to effectively and efficiently maintain and operate our growing equipment fleet.
As Shop Foreman/Maintenance Director, the successful candidate will undertake an in-depth review of the maintenance operations of the Public Works Department, and assist the Department in its operations at the Hamlet of Arviat, including:
- Completing an in-depth assessment and review of the current Public Works Garage, maintenance, and fleet operations, including but not limited to reviewing Preventative Maintenance schedules, human resources, staff schedules, and training, inventory management, etc. to ensure maximum efficiency and maximum operating time for Hamlet of Arviat Equipment.
- Reviewing existing equipment and identifying equipment that is at End of Life, identifying necessary equipment that is missing, undersized, underutilized, or otherwise not available to meet requirements, and proposing replacement and/or additional equipment as required by Hamlet of Arviat public works services now and in the foreseeable future.
- Assisting with the overall management of the Public Works Department.
- Developing a plan for the Hamlet of Arviat to improve fleet efficiency, reliability, and service delivery by improving equipment management, maintenance, both in the immediate term and in the next five years.
- Beginning to implement this plan at the appropriate time; this contract may be extended (upon mutual agreement) with the intention of overseeing implementation.
- Attending committee, staff, public, and/or council meetings when required.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the SAO.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Grade 12 Diploma or equivalent;
- Post-Secondary degree, diploma, and/or certificate in a field related to Public Works management, municipal administration, or a related field; or training in a field such as Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic or other trade is required; further education is an asset;
- Computer skills including use of email, word processing, and spreadsheets; experience in maintenance management software such as MMOS is a strong asset.
- Experience in overseeing or managing public works operations, fleet management, maintenance operations, equipment maintenance facilities, or similar experience;
- Experience in assessing and improving public works operations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including experience managing or supervising staff;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural environment and in a remote location.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; communication in Inuktitut is an asset;
- Class 5 driver’s license; class 3 with airbrakes endorsement and/or Heavy Equipment Operator training is an asset.
Working Conditions and Position Details
- The Hamlet of Arviat is the municipal government responsible for the administration of municipal services for the community of Arviat, Nunavut. Arviat is one of the largest communities in Nunavut with approximately 3,000 people, located on the western shores of Hudson Bay about halfway between Rankin Inlet, NU and Churchill, MB. The Hamlet’s mandate is to provide municipal services to the population, including public works (road maintenance, garbage pickup, water/sewage services, etc.), health & wellness programming, economic development activities, and recreational facilities and programming for Arviat residents. Arviat is a remote, fly-in only community with an arctic climate. For more information visit www.arviat.ca.
- This is a management position, outside of the Hamlet of Arviat collective agreement. The successful candidate will form part of the management team for the Hamlet.
- The standard working hours for this position are 8:00am to noon and 1:00pm – 5:00pm from Monday to Friday (40.0 hours per week).
- Some evening and weekend work may be required, as the maintenance operation programming schedules dictate. Hamlet of Arviat equipment is active seven days a week, 365 days a year.
- As a management position, some overtime will be expected.
- The Hamlet of Arviat will provide and/or subsidize housing and provide relocation assistance for the successful candidate, to be negotiated as required.
- Compensation package will be negotiated with the successful candidate, and will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience and education, and inline with the compensation packages of other Hamlet of Arviat management positions.
- This is a one-year term contract position, with the possibility of extension upon mutual agreement.
- As this position is located in a remote community, the Hamlet of Arviat is open to negotiating a rotational work schedule with the successful candidate.
If you are interested:
- Submit your resume to SAO Steve England at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions, including a full job description, please contact SAO Steve England at 867-857-2841 ex 1001 or email@example.com.
This job posting is open to the public.
This is a 1-year term position with a strong possibility of extension.
This position is open until filled.