Pickering is a vibrant, connected, and engaged community that is experiencing both significant economic and residential growth. We continue to evolve as a preferred destination for creative learning, memorable events, and unique experiences, and are seeking passionate candidates that are committed to joining us on our journey.
Our dedicated, energetic staff are guided by our core values and corporate priorities which fuel an inclusive culture and encourages teamwork, customer service excellence, and personal and professional growth.
The City provides a competitive compensation and benefits package with a focus on workplace wellness. Explore our career opportunities and see how you can make a difference.
Supervisor, Energy Management
The incumbent will be responsible for identifying, assessing and recommending energy management programs and initiatives for the City, which support conservation and energy efficiency for City owned capital assets. This includes leading the continuing development and implementation of the Corporate Energy Management Plan, assisting other Departments in the selection of energy management systems, product selection, reviewing and providing input for the preventative maintenance programs of those systems, and tracking and reporting on energy usage and efficiency metrics. The incumbent will provide in-house expertise and participate in the life cycle management of mechanical and electrical capital assets from identification of the need, design, tender documents, procurement, construction, commissioning, and hand-over for ongoing operations.
Successful applicants will possess the following:
- A post-secondary degree in Engineering or a related Engineering Technology diploma.
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM), Certified Energy Auditor (CEA), and Certified Measurement and Verification Professional (CMVP) credentials would be an asset.
- Successful completion of Heating, Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Institute of Canada (HRAI) courses are considered an asset.
- Familiarity with Net Zero design or equivalent familiarity is an asset.
- Five years of progressively more responsible relevant work related experience, preferably in a municipal environment, with a minimum of three years specific to energy management and conservation experience.
- Experience quantifying energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions, and interpreting the results.
- Experience related to facility energy management, HVAC, lighting, and building automation systems.
- Demonstrable understanding and application of the principles of sustainability, climate change, resilient design, energy management and renewable energy.
- Ability to plan and implement an energy management and conservation program.
- Advanced research and analytical skills with the ability to identify problems and develop practical and creative solutions.
- Above average interpersonal, organizational, and leadership skills, communication (written and verbal), and the demonstrated ability to prepare reports and analyze budget figures.
- Superior written and oral communication skills to design presentation graphics materials, generate technical reports and formal correspondence, and communicate and present information to all levels of staff.
- Demonstrated experience in project management with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously to meet deadlines and achieve project objectives.
- Detailed knowledge of building construction practices, mechanical and electrical engineering design and current materials technology. Adaptable to new and innovative designs and developing technologies.
- Knowledge of building automation systems and commissioning process.
- Demonstrable knowledge of the following codes and standards:
- SB-10 of the Ontario Building Code
- ASHREA Standards and Guidelines
- ISO 13790 – Energy performance of buildings – calculation use for space heating and cooling, and similar engineering reference documents.
- Proven ability to maintain effective working relationships and to deal courteously and professionally with all levels of staff, volunteers, community leaders, community stakeholders, and members of the public.
- Experience with software solutions for the management of capital assets would be an asset.
- Knowledge and application of regulations within the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of personal computers and Windows based computer applications.
- Must be able to work irregular hours including evenings and weekends.
- Must be prepared to undergo a Criminal Reference check as a condition of employment.
- Must possess a valid Class “G” Ontario Driver’s Licence and a personal vehicle for use in the performance of duties. Must provide confirmation of liability coverage. A clean driving record is preferred.
Compensation includes a comprehensive benefits package, pension plan and an annual salary range starting at 99,117.20 (2020 rate) based on a 35 hour work week.
Qualified candidates may submit a detailed resume or online application form by Friday, February 4, 2022 to:
Recruitment Specialist By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Human Resources Department By Fax: 905.420.4638
One The Esplanade Online: pickering.ca/employment
Pickering, ON L1V 6K7
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act and will be used for the purpose of candidate selection. An equal opportunity employer, all employees are governed by the City’s Mandatory Vaccination Procedure. Please contact Human Resources if you require accommodations throughout the recruitment process. Documents are available alternate formats upon request.
The City of Pickering is committed to inclusive, accessible, and barrier-free employment practices and to creating a workplace that reflects and supports the diversity of the community we serve. We encourage and welcome applications from qualified applicants including members of racialized groups, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please let us know if you require an accommodation and we will work with you to ensure a barrier-free hiring process.
An Equal Opportunity Employer