If you’re an Urban Designer or Professional Planner with knowledge of urban design, development and planning, this is a great time to join the Region of Waterloo and take your career to the next level.
As a Supervisor of Urban Design & Planning, you’ll lead design and planning work associated with the disposition and redevelopment of Regional lands, with a specific focus on the Region’s new housing land portfolio. This is an exciting opportunity for you to develop conceptual designs that align with Council’s affordable housing investment strategy and program goals, in a multi-stakeholder environment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
To assume the role of Supervisor, Urban Design & Planning, you will have the following profile:
- Knowledge of urban design, development, planning, and architectural processes, including related guidelines, policies, and legislation, normally acquired through a degree in a related field (e.g., urban design, architecture, landscape architecture, planning) plus progressively responsible related experience.
- Full membership in the Ontario Professional Planning Institute.
- Membership or eligibility for full membership with the Ontario Association of Architects (OAA) or the Ontario Association of Landscape Architects (OALA), as applicable.
- Skill and creativity in conceptual design and graphics (manual and computer) integrating multi-use purposes that contribute to the long-term goals and vision of the project.
- Knowledge of, and ability to comply with, policies, procedures, guidelines, and related legislation/regulations (e.g., zoning by-laws, Regional Official Plan, Planning Act).
- Research, analytical, organizational, problem-solving, and continuous improvement skills to develop new and creative design options that meet program goals in a multi-stakeholder and political environment; identify planning and design issues; and manage projects through regulatory/legislative frameworks.
- Leadership, communication, human relations, political acuity, and presentation skills to supervise, train, develop, motivate and support staff; work effectively with multi-disciplinary project partners; present and justify recommendations to senior staff, and Council, and at public meetings; understand and incorporate feedback from stakeholders; and participate as an effective team member.
- Ability to draft and edit clear, concise reports and planning documents.
- Computer skills, with the ability to use Microsoft Office, and design-focused programs such as AutoCAD, 3D modelling, image processing, and desktop publishing software.
- Ability to travel within Waterloo Region.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Ability to support and demonstrate the Region’s values.
Serving, engaging and inspiring current and future generations
Committed to fostering opportunities for current and future generations, the Region of Waterloo is an inclusive, thriving and sustainable region of connected rural and urban communities with global reach. Our mission is to serve, engage and inspire, by delivering quality services to a diverse population of 560,000+, while creating a healthy, collaborative environment of learning, respect and innovation. This is a place where employees are valued and recognized for their talents and contributions to our success.
In addition to offering a competitive compensation package, we have a strong focus on health and wellness, including fitness facilities and family-focused benefits.
Please visit our website, at www.regionofwaterloo.ca, for a detailed description of this position as Supervisor, Urban Design & Planning (competition #2021-1892), and to apply online before 11:59 p.m., Monday, September 27, 2021.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview. We will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.