Technical Coordinator – Waterworks
Regular Full Time
Markham, ON, CA
Requisition ID: 3153
Salary Range: $80,411.00 To $91,382.00 (CAD) Annually
The City of Markham, an award-winning municipality with more than 355,000 residents, is Canada’s high-tech capital and most diverse community, enjoying a rich heritage, outstanding community planning and services, and a vibrant local economy. Committed to being a model of public service excellence, with a workforce that is representative of the population we serve, we are looking for people who share our values and are champions of innovative practices. Diversity is one of Markham’s strategic priorities, and we strive to develop and maintain an environment that is inclusive and creates a sense of belonging for all.
We are pleased to be named one of Canada’s Best Employers for 2022 and the best City employer by Forbes for the second consecutive year. The City of Markham is ranked in the top two for Government Services and 15th among the 300 employers on the list, advancing from 18th place in 2021.
Applications are now being received for the regular full-time Technical Coordinator, Waterworks position in the Environmental Services Department, Community Services Commission. Please apply online at www.markham.ca/careers by December 4, 2022.
Reporting to the System Engineer, Environmental Services Department, the Technical Coordinator will be responsible for tasks related to water distribution, waste water collection and storm water collection systems by assisting with;
- Development Application Circulation Review,
- Capital Project review,
- Development Agreement review,
- initiate inspections for pre – building permit approval,
- letter of credit release sign offs,
- infill service connection reviews,
- coordinating and managing comments,
- acceptance for Maintenance,
- the Waterworks Supervisors to: comment on development submissions, be involved with field inspections and records view prior to assumption, assist with field investigation, and assist with, coordinate and help produce changes to design standards.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review plans and development applications, attend meetings, produce and coordinate departmental comments to ensure new development: Official Plans, Secondary Plans, Site Plans, Servicing Plans, Subdivision Plans Reviews, Infill housing servicing availability, service material type and existing condition assessment review, City capital projects review conform to the requirements of the Environmental Services Department
- Coordinates and facilitates Environmental Services Department reviews and discussions of possible City’s Design Standards and Standard Drawings to incorporate changing and evolving technology that supports lower total life cycle operating costs and that increase that asset’s total life cycle reliability.
- Uses electronic tools such as AutoCAD, ePlan, etc. when producing development submission reviews and providing comments, produce Standard Drawing change requests and renders new Standard Drawings for consideration. May also be asked to use various electronic modeling software and work management tools.
- Participates in, as required, various engineering and capital projects within System Engineering or within the Department as directed by the System Engineer.
- Undertake data compilation, analysis and production of reports for the operation, management and planning of the water, waste water and storm water systems. Maintaining/adding to various records/databases.
- Assist with Sewer Use By-law discharge compliance assessment and damage cost recovery investigations.
- Respond to inquiries from and/or liaise with internal departments, industrial / commercial / institutional (ICI) customers, Region of York, developers, engineering consultants, other level of government / agencies, etc. on system engineering programs / practices / procedures, wastewater or water by-law compliance, development applications, consumer use issues / education and other Waterworks System Engineering-related matters, as required.
- Liaison with Engineering Department, coordinate and participate with infill redevelopment for information gathering, review and conduct field inspection as required.
- Portable field based electronic device deployment management, communication monitoring and data retrieval, data management, data processing and information verification, information analysis and trending, and information interpretation to assist decision making and support.
- Monitor and supervise as required contractors, consultants and contract staff hired for various Waterworks programs.
- Lead and/or participate on special project teams, as assigned and champions the corporate/ commission / departmental vision, mission and values among colleagues and co-workers. Provide backup support as required within System Engineering.
- Performs other duties as assigned, in accordance with departmental or commission / corporate objectives.
- University degree in civil or environmental engineering with emphasis on water distribution, wastewater collection systems, storm water collection systems and hydraulics.
- Demonstrated experience and involvement in Linear Municipal Infrastructure Design associated with water, wastewater and storm water infrastructure.
- Demonstrated understanding of municipal water distribution, wastewater collection system and storm water collection systems compliance issues and related legislation, preferably as it applies in an urban growth environment.
- Experience in Municipal Infrastructure review associated with linear water, wastewater and storm water infrastructure will be considered as an asset.
- Familiarity with field deployed information gathering devices, their programming, data retrieve, data storage and information management.
- Preference will be given to minimum 2 years EIT experience or a holder of the Professional Engineer’s (P.Eng) license from the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO).
- Class G driver licence in good standing and reliable vehicle to use on corporate business
- Computer literacy utilizing word-processing, spreadsheets, Waterworks-related databases, system modeling software, and the Internet; experience with infrastructure management (IMS) technology – preferably Hansen software.
- AutoCAD or other commercial computer aided design (CAD) drafting software applications. Working knowledge of InfoWorks-CS / ICM and InfoWater modeling software, and infrastructure management technology (Hansen software) would be a strong asset.
- Ability to multi-task using strong organizational skills in a team oriented environment and the ability to communicate to various internal and external audiences while demonstrating strong customer service, etiquette and effective / active listening skills are considered key success factor in this role.
- Service Excellence: Meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization.
- Change & Innovation: Responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships.
- Communication: Communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way; demonstrates active listening.
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Demonstrates ethical behavior and accountability, aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation.
- Management & Leadership: Demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example.
The City of Markham is committed to inclusive, accessible, and barrier free employment practices and to creating a workplace that reflects and supports the diversity of the community we serve. Please let us know if you require an accommodation and we will work with you to ensure a barrier free hiring process.
The City of Markham has established a mandatory vaccination requirement for staff related to the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, should you be a successful candidate for a position with the City of Markham you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination upon a conditional offer of employment. Should you require accommodation in accordance with the Human Rights policy with respect to your vaccine status, you will be required to disclose that at the time of conditional offer so that an accommodation can be developed prior to your start date.
We thank all applicants who have applied. However, only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.