Job Level: Permanent/Full Time Posting # 2023-001
Salary – $89,500 – $103,500
THE DISTRICT OF STEWART is seeking a positive, action-oriented, and self-motivated individual that exhibits public relations capabilities, and is a trusted motivator with leadership skills to foster a productive Operations/Public Works team.
Stewart is located in northwest British Columbia, at the head of the Portland Canal, and is 3 km from Hyder, Alaska. Stewart’s economic base is mining, forestry, and tourism. Visitors & residents alike enjoy seasonal recreation including boating, fishing, hiking, heliskiing, snowmobiling, and exploring the many glaciers accessible by road— including the Salmon Glacier, the 5th largest glacier in Canada accessible by road.
LEAD AND MOTIVATE IN PUBLIC WORKS
Under the direction of the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Director of Operations is responsible for the safe and efficient delivery of a range of services in the planning, organization, control and direction of issues related to water, sewer, roads and drainage systems, solid waste collection, snow clearing operations, fleet and heavy equipment management, and maintenance of public infrastructure. Supported by a unionized Public Works Team, you will provide leadership to ensure that the District’s infrastructure is well maintained through effective planning and utilization of resources. You will coordinate with the CAO in order to prioritize the implementation of Capital Works Projects. This position may be filled either as regular full-time or on contract.
Where is the Job?
With a population of 500, the District of Stewart is a deep-sea port on BC’s beautiful northern coast. During the summer, Stewart is a major tourist draw with its closeness to Alaska and road access to a major glacier – the Salmon. You’ll enjoy recreational opportunities year-round with fishing down the Portland Canal, and first-class snowmobiling and heli-skiing on the adjacent mountains. Major industry in the area includes mining, logging, and port operations.
What You’ll Do:
You will be a role model of respectful and responsible communications for your team, and you’ll make sure that all decisions and actions comply with legislation, policies, and procedures. You will manage the department’s operating budget and work collaboratively with various vendors. You will ensure the proper maintenance of municipal facilities, systems, and equipment; and you can be available for emergencies when needed. On a day-to-day basis, you’ll oversee a wide variety of tasks that include running the maintenance shop and yard, operating heavy and light equipment, managing the fleet, and handling physical labour. Under your leadership, the Public Works crew will carry out duties in:
- Water treatment and distribution
- Sewer treatment and collection
- Culvert and ditch maintenance
- Road, sidewalk, and ditch maintenance
- Snow and ice control
- Public inquiries and requests
What You’ll Get in Return:
- An outstanding team that values diversity and teamwork.
- An annual wage of $89,500 – $103,500 depending upon qualifications and experience.
- A comprehensive benefits package; and
- Assistance with relocation for those considering a move from outside the District.
What You’ll Bring:
- Valid Class 3 or higher Commercial Driver’s License is preferred but not a job requirement.
- Experience as a Supervisor or Foreperson.
- Basic knowledge of water/wastewater operations.
- Experience operating heavy equipment.
- Ability to use basic computer applications including email, web browsers and word/excel processing software.
- Ability to work weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize multiple tasks, exercise sound judgement; and
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
What to do Next:
Send your resume and cover letter to Todd Francis, Chief Administrative Officer, at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until filled.
Applications: Qualified candidates are invited to submit their detailed resume and covering letter in confidence to the District of Stewart to:
Todd Francis, CAO
P.O. Box 460,
705 Brightwell Street
Stewart BC V0T 1W0
Or via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
When applying please quote Job Posting No. 2022-014 | Shortlisted applicants will be asked for three (3) references.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS ~ JOB DESCRIPTION
General Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manage and direct the daily work of employees in all public works operations.
- Oversee snow removal and scheduling.
- Investigate complaints from the public and resolve problems in a satisfactory manner.
- Supervise the operation and maintenance of the public works shop.
- Manage the purchase, repair, and use of department equipment.
- Manage the repair and usage of District buildings.
- Manage the purchase of materials and supplies for the department.
- Coordinate and oversee the work of independent contractors.
- Represent the District as authorized and directed by the District CAO and Council.
- Perform the general planning and supervision of the repair and maintenance of District facilities.
- Attend regular District Council meetings and special meetings as directed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the CAO including but not limited to Asset Management and Capital Planning.
- Direct all aspects of building/facilities operations in the District of Stewart including preventative maintenance; repairs and renovations of mechanical; electrical, and plumbing; energy conservation; masonry; carpentry; security and other building systems as performed by District employees and/or contractors.
- Assess condition, review equipment specifications, and establish preventative maintenance schedule for all municipal facility systems and equipment.
- Establish and maintain contracts with various vendors to provide annual/regular service on heating systems, fire suppression systems, carpet/upholstery cleaning, plumbing maintenance, and repairs, etc.
- Review and approve invoices from vendors and prepare purchase orders for payment
- Develop and implement work plans to meet department performance goals as directed by the District Council.
- Obtain Authorization from CAO and District Council for yearly capital improvement purchases.
- Maintain a highly professional standard of conduct and communication with staff and members of the public.
- Keep abreast of current trends in public works management and other industry standards.
Responsibilities for Personnel:
- Organize, direct, and supervise employees in order to achieve high quality and efficiency in department services and operations.
- Recommend assignment, re-assignment, appointment, promotion, suspension and/or termination of department employees.
- Provide training to municipal staff in daily operation and maintenance of building and grounds as well as basic training on equipment and tools and enforce Occupational Health and Safety rules and regulations.
- Prepare and approve time sheets.
- Review department employee performance on a regular basis.
- Provide positive leadership in order to foster productivity and good employee relations
- Provide opportunities for employees to obtain job-related training in order to improve knowledge, skills, and performance.
- Develop and enforce high standards of safety and work quality
- Implement and enforce District policies and procedures.
- Prepare department operating budget under the general direction of the District CAO and Council.
- Administer the department budget as adopted and/or amended.
- Follow appropriate purchasing procedures to ensure that quality goods and services are obtained in a timely manner and at a competitive price.
Notice: This position description has been prepared to assist in defining job responsibilities.
It is not intended to be a complete list of job duties, responsibilities, and/or essential functions, nor does it limit or modify the right of the District to assign, direct and control the work of employees under its supervision.
The District retains and reserves any and all rights to change, modify, amend, add to, or delete from any part of this document as it deems, in its judgment, to be proper.