Communications, Advertising and Marketing Officer
Corporate Services, City of Kawartha Lakes
The City of Kawartha Lakes is located on the Trent Severn Waterway in central Ontario, and offers a unique mix of urban, rural and waterfront living to its growing population of 75,000. The City is a progressive, forward-thinking community with a positive business environment and a thriving artistic community. Recognized as a prime tourist area for its year-round leisure opportunities, Kawartha Lakes is rich in culture and heritage, a strong agricultural community, and abundant in all the amenities being sought by residents and visitors alike.
The Corporate Services department is seeking a permanent full time Communications, Advertising and Marketing Officer to join our dynamic team.
Essential Duties of Position
- Consult with City departments to determine needs and objectives for projects and then develop communications and marketing plans to achieve desired results. Plans would include objectives, audience, chosen tactics, project timelines, budget and measurement
- Work collaboratively within the Communications, Advertising and Marketing Division (CAM) to ensure all communications content is timely, consistent with key messaging and in compliance with all related policies and directives
- Develop and deliver training across departments with respect to the use of the CMS system and social media use
- Manage the existing communications process and develop measures to evaluate the success of the process
- Assist in the development of new communications tools to inform Council, staff and other audiences
- Monitor the quality and quantity of public engagement across the City and assist with enhancements through online and offline tools
- Actively monitor media activity (traditional and social media) and create reports to evaluate results
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Marketing and Advertising Project Management
- Execute marketing plans for departments to the extent required, including communications, booking advertising, fulfilling printing and distribution, issuing media releases etc.
- Develop plans to complement the corporate communications program to ensure City residents are provided with timely and program specific information reaching the appropriate audience using the most cost-effective and efficient platforms
- Manage the City’s centralized weekly advertising program by guiding departments through the process of writing, formatting, print-proofing, approvals and invoicing
- Proactively evaluating communication, advertising and marketing initiatives and recommending enhancements to programs where required
Website Content Management
- Manage the daily content requirements of the website including researching, writing and uploading final content to the CMS system
- Responsible to review, edit and approve website content submitted from a variety of sources across the municipality to ensure quality and consistency
- Develop online content and assist with the selection of images, videos and other content as appropriate to support desired messaging
- Take responsibility to troubleshoot and resolve issues with the website including errors, omissions or technical difficulties by working with the vendor
Requirements and Qualifications
- Post-secondary diploma in public relations, advertising and/or marketing
- Minimum 5 years of related progressive experience preferred, in a municipal environment, public relations or advertising agency
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity, and strategic thinking
- Excellent written communication skills with the ability to filter and consolidate information from various sources to achieve a consistent voice
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy
- Proficiency in writing press releases, reports, presentations and marketing plans
- Experience working with all marketing channels, online and offline
- Demonstrated professional and ethical responsibility to protect privacy, use confidential information appropriately, treat sensitive situations with appropriate degree of tact and discretion
- Demonstrated customer-service and interpersonal skills at a level to develop and maintain collaborative working relationships both within and outside the municipality including members of the media
- Excellent time-management skills with the ability to prioritize workload and meet deadlines, and the ability to deal with multiple demands
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills with the ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to demonstrate initiative consistently with commitment to quality improvement, sharing process improvement initiatives with management
- Demonstrated ability to understand and abide by municipal policies and procedures
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office, social media scheduling software and website CMS systems
- Working knowledge of video editing an asset
- Occasional travel to various work locations is required to fulfill the job duties of the position
- Upon a conditional offer of employment, a Criminal Record Check will be required
Applicants must be prepared for skills testing.
Annual Salary: $29.97 – $32.96 hourly (2022)
Interested applicants are encouraged review the full job posting on our website and to apply on or before July 10, 2022 through the Careers page on the City of Kawartha Lakes website: KawarthaLakes.ca.
We will accommodate the needs of applicants in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise Human Resources to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process.