The Town of Newmarket, Engineering Services
Requires a Capital Works Resident Inspector – Multi-Disciplinary
30 Month Contract (35 hours per week)
The growing community of Newmarket is home to 90,000 people and is located 40 minutes north of Toronto, in York Region. As one of the most densely populated communities in Ontario, Newmarket may be small in area, but BIG things are happening there. From the transformation of a community landmark, the Mulock Property, into Newmarket’s very own Central Park to the renewal of the urban corridors to make them even more eclectic, vibrant, livable, and lovable – the Town of Newmarket is always looking forward.
We offer and value flexibility to support work/life balance and wellbeing, including flextime, compressed workweeks, and hybrid work. As we move forward, Newmarket is committed to evolving, growing, and trying new approaches, all while creating an environment for extraordinary public service.
Who We Are Looking For
Under the direction of the Project Management Leader – Mulock Property, the Capital Works Resident Inspector – Multi-Disciplinary is accountable for the day-to- day on-site inspection, quality assurance, and assisting with frontline contract administration of capital projects associated with the Mulock Property as well as other Town capital projects. These projects would include such initiatives as: major building construction and renovations (i.e. renovation of the historic Mulock House, Conservatory), pumping stations (i.e. sanitary and water features), recreation facilities (skate pavilion, splash pad, outdoor rink, etc.), green spaces, environmental and low-impact development projects, public spaces, parks, pathways and parking, and other projects involving a broad range of multi-disciplinary design and construction work). The role applies a knowledge of construction management techniques to monitor and ensure quality on the Mulock Park site, as well as potentially other Town of Newmarket capital projects.
This position’s initial focus is expected to include capital projects for the historic Mulock Property which will include adaptive re-use of an historic manor house, green spaces, art studio, historic formal gardens, a riverine fountain feature, skating trail, splash pad and skating pavilion, greenhouse conservatory, diversity gardens, a natural playground, and bike and walking trails.
This role provides an important front-line role for the Mulock Park Project, a Town of Newmarket strategic priority and the largest capital program ever undertaken by the Town. The program includes three main construction work packages, and a capital value in excess of $50 million.
How do you qualify?
- One of the following post-secondary qualifications is required:
a) Engineering Technology Diploma and certification with the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) as a Certified Engineering Technologist (CET), or
b) OAA Licensed Technologist with significant demonstrated experience; or
c) An equivalent combination of education and progressive experience working on capital projects.
- Demonstrated progressive experience in inspection and contract administration for the construction of municipal capital infrastructure including, but not limited to roads, parking lots, sidewalks, sanitary and storm sewers, watermains, street and walkway lighting, pumping stations, parks, recreation facilities, landscaping, drainage structures, retaining walls, and municipal buildings.
- Thorough knowledge of municipal standards, design and construction practices, procedures and/or manuals including the Ontario Provincial Standards, Ontario Traffic Manual, the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), soil and concrete testing practices.
- Demonstrated experience working independently as owner’s or consultant’s site representative.
- Under the guidance of the project management team, ability to exercise judgment and communicate effectively with the general public, contractors, consultants, and Town staff.
- Excellent customer service skills with an ability to maintain composure regardless of the demands of the environment.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of computer programs, inclusive of spreadsheet applications, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), MS Project, and software supporting construction management systems programs.
- Available to work scheduled and unscheduled overtime and provide after-hours on-call response. Ability to work on active construction sites with exposure to inclement weather, noise, dust and natural environmental conditions.
- Experience renovating existing or heritage buildings is an asset.
- Certification as a Certified Inspector of Sediment & Erosion Control (CISEC), or prior training in Working at Heights or Confined Space Entry are assets.
- Valid Class “G” Driver’s License in good standing with reliable vehicle to use on corporate business.
- Due to the responsibilities of this position a Police Information Check satisfactory to the Town is required.
- Professional designations that include a Police Information Check will be considered.
Salary: $40.50 – $47.50/hour
How do I apply?
Please apply online at Newmarket.ca by 5:00 p.m. on March 12, 2024, quoting the file number 24-50.
The Town of Newmarket is committed to accommodate all applicants in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code for all employment activities including the recruitment process. Please no phone calls.