WINTER IS COMING. LET’S MAKE SURE THE ROADS ARE CLEAR.
Reporting to the Superintendent of Public Works, the Winter Control Operator works with a small team to ensure the Public Works department runs smoothly. You have grit, and energy, and are passionate about getting the job done right. This part-time, casual position is perfect for fitting into your lifestyle through the winter season.
Where is the Job?
With a population of 500, the District of Stewart is a deep-sea port on BC’s beautiful northern coast. During the summer, Stewart is a major tourist draw with its closeness to Alaska and road access to a major glacier – the Salmon. You’ll enjoy recreational opportunities year-round with fishing down the Portland Canal, and first-class snowmobiling and heli-skiing on the adjacent mountains. Major industry in the area includes mining, logging, and port operations.
What You’ll Do:
- Operate heavy mobile equipment including graders, loaders, plow trucks, etc.;
- Assist with snow removal, sidewalk clearing, drainage ditch maintenance, and de-icing;
- Work, days, nights, and weekends as required;
- Work in inclement weather;
- Assist with ground maintenance which may include snow shoveling, ice scraping, and salting;
- Communicate respectfully with supervisors and staff; and professionally interact with the public; and
- Assist with other duties as required.
What You’ll Get in Return:
- An outstanding team of coworkers who value diversity and teamwork;
- A competitive wage of $34.30 / hour; and
- Assistance with relocation for those considering a move from outside the District.
What You’ll Bring:
- Your Education:
- Grade 12 education or equivalent
- Class 1 Driver’s License
- First Aid Certificate
- Your Experience:
- At least 2 years of heavy equipment operations experience
- Experience with public works functions (roads, water, wastewater, and facility maintenance)
- Experience with the use and maintenance of public works tools and equipment
What to do Next:
There are 2 (two) Winter Control Operator positions available. If you are legally entitled to work in Canada and are over the age of 18, send your resume and cover letter to Todd Francis, Chief Administrative Officer, at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until December 21, 2022.