Posting date: May 25, 2023
Job Title: Distribution and Collection Operator B
Posting number: 1175
Section: Distribution and Collection
Division: Linear Infrastructure Services
Department: Growth and Infrastructure
Initial Reporting Location: Frobisher Depot
Job Status: Limited Position
Estimated Probable Duration: Until October 27, 2023
Number of Vacancies: 1
Affiliation: Outside Unit
Hours of Work: 80 hours bi-weekly
Shift Work Required: Yes (Shift Work may be required)
Rate of Pay: $28.19 to $32.21 per hour
Training Opportunity Rate of Pay: $26.78 to $30.60 per hour. The successful candidate to a training opportunity will be paid at the reduced rate until the minimum qualifications have been met.
The start date will follow the selection process.
This job is being posted as a Training Opportunity. Should there be no fully qualified candidate for this position, a candidate who can be expected to meet the required qualifications within a reasonable period of time may be considered for this position as a training/development opportunity.
A criminal record check is required for this position and will be requested by the Hiring Manager should you be the candidate of choice. Please do not submit your criminal record check with your application.
Characteristic Duties: Under the supervision of a Distribution and Collection Foreperson.
- Perform all operational and maintenance functions necessary for the safe and efficient service to consumers of distribution and collection facilities.
- Carry out hydrant inspections in an assigned area and ascertain whether the hydrants are in operable condition.
- Report immediately to the Distribution and Collection Foreperson any defective or inoperable hydrants.
- Layout, fit, assemble, install and maintain piping systems, fixtures and equipment for water and sewer installation.
- Perform preventative and corrective repairs to distribution and collective facilities.
- Collect samples and perform routine lab tests as directed.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade XII) Education.
- Must be certified as an Operator In Training, and willing and able to complete certification as Water Distribution Level 1 and Wastewater Collection Level 1 within eighteen (18) months. Successful applicants will be required to obtain and maintain certification in good standing.
- Must have a minimum of two (2) years experience in water/wastewater operations.
- Able to effectively complete M.M.M.S. Crew Cards.
- Prepare reports and exercise good judgement in dealing with emergency conditions and with the general public.
- Able to communicate effectively with mobile radio equipment.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills in dealing with the public, staff and outside agencies in a courteous and effective manner.
- Complete knowledge of CGS’s distribution and collection facilities.
- Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- May require the use of a CGS vehicle on CGS business. Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver’s licence, and have an acceptable driving record.
- Must provide, at own cost, a Criminal Record Check.
Interested applicants who have questions regarding certification are encouraged to visit the OWWCO website at www.owwco.ca
How to Apply: Please visit https://myjobs.greatersudbury.ca/ to apply online.
We must receive your resume before 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, June 8, 2023. For those providing a French language resume, please also include an English version.
- Click on the Apply for Job button.
- Follow the step by step application process.
- Ensure you attached a cover letter and resume. Acceptable file types are:
- Once completed, review your application and click on the Submit button.
- Upon submission of your application, you will get a confirmation on the screen that your application has been successfully submitted. You will also receive an e-mail confirmation to the e-mail address on your profile.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process you must advise the Hiring Manager.
Live outside Canada or new to Canada?
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair, inclusive, and equitable work environment and our City welcomes qualified applicants from anywhere. To learn more about working in Canada, visit this webpage: Applicants Living Outside of Canada (greatersudbury.ca)
For technical difficulties, issues, questions or accommodations with an application made online email myJOBS@greatersudbury.ca